Thursday, December 30, 2010

Brianna's 2010 in Music.

It’s the start of the new year! And before running off to celebrate by not getting drunk I thought I'd post this. Rather then discuss silly little promises that I probably won’t end up completing, I’d like to talk about music. The music that I’ve discovered, loved or just plain obsessed over during 2010. So, I’ve put together a 20 song soundtrack that pretty accurately describes my entire year. I ask you to excuse my extreme geekyness. It happens.

So, Here’s my Soundtrack for 2010, with links.

1. My Eyes - Dr. Horribles Sing Along Blog Official Soundtrack - Neil Patrick Harris and Felicia Day
“Because the Dark is everywhere and Penny doesn’t seem to care that soon the dark in me is all that will remain,”

Okay, Itunes says this is one of my most-played songs. Coming in at 149 plays since I downloaded it earlier this year. In all honesty, when it comes to listening to music, I use my iPhone, Itunes is played in my house maybe 1% of the time. So add a few zeros to the above number.
End of story - this song is AWESOME. Great duet. I’m a big fan of both Neil Patrick Harris and Felicia Day. If you haven’t seen the movie - watch it on netflix, or better yet, go buy the DVD. It’s one of those movies you can watch again and again.

2. I Like To Dance - Lovesick Electric - Hot Chelle Rae.
“Forget the romance, this is what music was created for...”

My musically inclined friend Alex over at Fake Pink Glasses introduced me to this band, and this song in particular earlier this summer.

If you like great dance music, you’ll love this song.

3. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Fame - Black Cards
“Arms trade, I deal and drink in spades. But heaven's got a gate full of metal detectors,”

I’ve been a huge Fall out boy fan*cough*girl*cough* for years (Sue me). After their breakup this year I was a little disappointed. But Pete put together a brand new band with a brand new sound. And all was good.
Despite the fact that they’re a bitter disappointment live (Bebe’s voice is sent through a few too many machines before being released, and live she just couldn’t hold up,) The lyrics are (as always) very well done.

4. Sputter- Lost in Pacific Time - The Academy is.
“Don't waste your breath. You wouldn't want this anyway,”

Been a fan of TAI for quite a while now, and they didn’t disappoint with their new EP. I love , love, love this song. I find this song especially moving. *shrug* I’m a romantic. Or something like that.

5. The Scene is Dead, Long live the Scene - Hot Mess- Cobra Starship
“ I can love you like a sailor, I can make you dance all night,”

Oh yes he can. CS’s a fun little band that continuously pumps out great beats and awesome dance music. While this song is a little deeper (and frankly, a bit more depressing) then many of their others, I still enjoy it deeply. It’s pretty much been on repeat since August 09’.

6. The Great Estates -Weathervanes- Freelance Whales.
“Parade our souls out by the back gate,”

I first heard this song over the summer on an episode of Haven.
Doris’s voice is haunting. I don’t know much about the band, but Darren Criss’s (A Very Potter Musical, GLEE) brother is in it and if talent runs in the family then the rest of this album should be pretty damn decent.

7. Let me go - The House Rules - Christian Kane.
“Don’t you know I’m no good for you? It’ll only break your heart,”

*shrug* Typical country love song. I just really love it. I think everyone’s been in a place where they feel undeserving.

8. A Lighthouses Tale - Nickel Creek - Nickel Creek.
“And then he climbed my tower, and off the edge of me he ran,”


I don’t know why, but lighthouses are depressing. Just, overall. Write a song from a lighthouses Point of view and you’re in for a sad little ride.

9. Runs In The Family - Who Killed Amanda Palmer - Amanda Palmer
“All day I've been wondering what is inside of me. Who can I blame for it? I say it runs in the family,”

Frankly, I’m sick of hearing about Amanda Palmer. But this is just one of those songs you want to attempt to sing along with and the content is something we can all relate to.

10. We All Fall Down - Sweet Talk Radio.
Another Haven song. There’s very little lyrical content to it, but the music more then makes up for it.

11. Can’t Go Home Again - Leverage Soundtrack - Joseph LoDuca
"It's the dance of a madmen, until his heart stops. It's the voices of angels chained to the rocks,"

First of all, I love Irish music. Add to the fact that it was written by Joseph LoDuca (The guy that wrote most of the music for the television series Xena! Warrior princess,) and you’ve got something awesome.

... Shit...I’m old.

12. The One - It’s Always Stormy in Tillamook - Meg & Dia
“I loved you more, than I would ever dare tell you,”

*coughs* Again, I’m a romantic. Need I say more?

13. Celebrity Status - Masterpiece Theater - Marianas Trench
“Trading in who I’ve been for Shiny Celebrity Skin, I like to push it and push it until my luck is over,”

Just have to say, the Music video for this song is a cross between hilarious and AWESOME.
This is another song Alex sent me. The great thing about having friends like Alex is that you will never be without a good musical suggestion.


14. Dotted Lines - Sweet Talk Radio
"My paper heart has been burning, since you threw a match,"

Yet another Haven song. It’s always a good thing when the shows you love come with a great soundtrack as well. This band is going places. I'll tell you, everything they've done so far is simply phenomenal.

15. Thinking of you - The House Rules - Christian Kane
“When you find your way to another town, and someone tries to lay you down, and a feeling hits you right out of the blue. That’s just me. Thinking of you,”

I love this mans voice. His lyrics aren’t always amazing. But the amount of emotion he puts into his songs makes up for it. Also - Love this man. Marry me?

16. Ghost - Moenie and Kitchi - Gregory And The Hawk
“I woke up with my mind on a reason, for why it’s right to be leaving you,”

No idea where I even found this one. Not something I’d normally listen to, but I spent hours writing to it on repeat this Autumn.

17. Make Me Wanna Die - Light Me Up - The Pretty Reckless.
“I can see in your eyes, your eyes, you make me wanna die,”


I don’t know what it is about this song, but it always makes me feel like I should be in a club somewhere doing something that brings various amounts of shame to my family.

18. If I Die of Young - The Band Perry - The Band Perry
“If I die young, bury me in Satin, lay me down on a bed of roses, sink me in the river at dawn, send me away with the words of a love song,”

I’m starting to really enjoy country music again. This is just one of the songs I’ve found recently that’s made it to my “frequently played” list.

19. The House Rules - The House Rules - Christian Kane.
“Rule number 7 says don’t touch the women, but they can grab whatever they want to,”

Okay. Yeah. I’ve mentioned him a lot. Three times actually. See, I ran away from country music as soon as I could when I was younger. It was something my mother played constantly and I guess I was going through a point of needing some sort of separation and as a result country music hit the chopping block.
After I was older and had a general idea of who I was I strayed back a bit, only to find that the awesome Rock and Roll type country had been all but disposed of. Replaced with Country-pop and the generic “My dog hates me, I’m an alcoholic, and my wife left with the mail man,” type of songs. Big disappointment there.


Anyway, I feel Christian Kane is bringing the rock and roll sound back into country again.
I’ll admit it does help that I have a thing for both southern drawl's and dark broody guys.
Whether you disliked him as Lindsay on Angel, or even currently as Elliot Spencer on Leverage, you have to admit his music’s fun and funky.


Either way, He’s a trained fighter and can do things like this, so he’s okay in my book.

20. 17 - Sky Ferreira
“She got a fake ID, they’ll never know she’s 17,”

I think I like this song for the same reason I like “Make me Wanna Die”. Either way, Sky’s got an amazing voice, and the video’s pretty neat too.


And there you go. There’s my Year in music. Hope you’ve found something you enjoy or can relate too.

Happy New Year guys.
Lets hope for a interesting year full of adventure, love, excitement, and money.
Lots and lots of money.

<3
Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment